1. Process of check in and check out to the apartments: The client must communicate in advance the expected arrival time by calling our contact phones or by sending an e-mail. The meeting point is our office, for exceptions please contact us directly.
Check in to Girona: from 1 pm until 2 pm and from 4 pm to 8 pm. Upon request and in advance, check-in after 8:00 p.m. and until 00:00 pending a surcharge of 25 euros. Later than 00:00 or if you do not contact us before this time, or we can not contact you through any means, it will be considered for all purposes as not presented.
Check in to the Costa Brava: from 4 pm to noon until 7 pm. Please contact WITH ANNOUNCEMENT TO THE DATE OF ENTRY if you need to check in later PASSED ON 19 H AND UNTIL 11 pm. Later 11 pm or if you do not contact us before this time, or we can not contact you through any means, it will be considered for all purposes as not presented.
2. Departures from 10 am to 11 am in the morning. The client must notify the office of the scheduled departure time. You can consult on request and in advance the possibility of late check-out until 6:30 p.m. with an extraordinary payment of 25 euros.
3. Additional information about the accommodation: In order to guarantee your comfort and maintenance of the facilities, the reservation of this apartment entails the payment of a deposit. This deposit will be returned upon departure from the customer once the apartment is checked and checked for its status.
Supplement for cleaning and laundry: The apartment is delivered with bed linen and towels and cleaning is done by the company. For this reason we add a supplement for cleaning and laundry at the price of the apartment reservation. The loss of the keys entails a surcharge of 60 Euros.
4. Reservations: They will not be accepted as valid and the company is not responsible for the online reservations that are made the same day of arrival later than 4:00 p.m.
5. Payment and guarantee with credit card: At the time of making the reservation, you must always provide us with a credit card as a guarantee, which can be used for the reservation payment, and as a guarantee if a client does not appear, when leaving the apartment is They find missing towels, hair dryer or other objects, or in the case of flaws.
The company will charge 30 % of the reservation amount to the credit card at the time of making the reservation, the remaining 70 % will be charged at check-in on the day of entry to the apartment.
6. Cancellation Terms:
Reservations for Girona: You can cancel your reservation totally free of charge if you notify it more than 30 days in advance regarding the date of entry to the apartment. If canceled 30 days in advance and more than 10 days in advance, 30 % of the total amount of the reservation will be charged to the credit card.
If it is canceled for 10 days or less, or it is not presented until 00 h, the day of the ticket will be charged to the credit card 100% of the total amount of the reservation.
Not submitting to check in (not show) also entails the charge of 100 % of the amount.
Reservations for the Costa Brava: You can cancel your reservation completely free of charge if you notify it more than 60 days in advance regarding the date of arrival at the apartment. In case you have paid 30 % will be returned to the same credit card.
If the client annuls at least 60 days and more than 14 days, he will lose 30 % previously paid, if canceled with less than 14 days, he must pay 100 % of the total amount of the reservation. We remind you that you can contract with us travel insurance and booking cancellation.
Note: For exceptional reasons, the company reserves the right to change apartments, for the same price and similar or superior characteristics. Also, we would like to take this opportunity to remind you that if you want to hire one of our excursions, transport, or guided tours, we recommend you do so in advance.